Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 25—Victoria to Harrison Hot Springs, BC

Today was a rainy day. After visiting in Vancouver, we headed out the Lougheed Highway to Harrison Hot Springs. We arrived in Harrison where Devin received a strong ‘suggestion’ from a friendly RCMP officer that he should treat me to a night in the Harrison Resort and Spa hotel. So we spent a wonderful night in a great hotel room, and were able to soak in the hot springs until late in the evening. After the rain and cold, it was very, very nice!

-Lauren

Yes he was friendly, the RCMP officer. We took HWY 7 all the way up. It was beautiful, but there was so much water on the road, when a car would pass it would spay a wall of water. It was slow going and I could only have brief looks at the scenery. I have watched a lot of road on this trip. I should be a road inspector…

Anyway when we made it to the hot spring and we were wet and tired. The beach drive split left and right with no indication of the hot springs. First we went right and had to loop around, finding a girl on the main road, we asked her for directions. On the second attempt at the split we went left, the area is deserted and I am going as slow as possible on the bike. We roll through a stop sigh and immediately I see police lights in the mirror. “ Oh Shit” I think to myself, that’s just what we need. But it doesn’t matter that much, after all how much could a ticket for not stopping be?

The officer approaches the bike, “please remove your helmet” I reach up without thinking and try to un button. But I cant find it?! It should be in the same spot it always is! I’m fumbling around, and I can feel the officers gaze. I turn “ Sorry” my hand slips a little further down the strap. Its already up clipped! Stupid! I lift off the helmet unhindered.

“You guys have come a long way”

“All the way from Toronto” I say

"How you liking our weather” He says somewhat sarcastically

A little nervous now, but not showing it “its not that bad, we were at the grand canyon and it snowed on us! And its Arizona!”

He lets his lips move into a smile. Then looks at Lauren “You look cold”

Lauren “I am!”

"Ok I’ll be back in a second" and he walks away with my license in hand.

Trying to keep a positive attitude about this whole thing, Lauren and I begin to talk about food and some how end on sushi when the officer comes back.

“I’ll make you a deal” he says “this ticket will cost you $160.” Hiding my shock, but knowing my eyes have filled with water slightly, I have just given the officer the reaction I suspect he wanted. “ I will give you a warning if… (my mind jumps to money leaking through my fingers, and then freezes, he really has my attention now) you take this young lady to the resort.” He points to the biggest, nicest looking building in town; Harrison Hot Spring Resort and Spa the giant sign reads. “Now it will cost you $250 but you wont have to pay for the ticket, do we have a deal?” This whole experience is slow sinking in, but it does sound like a good deal, only half a second passes before I agree. The Supervising RCMP offer looks at Lauren again “Does he keep his word? “ “He does” but she admits to me later that she just wanted to get into a hotel. Handing back my papers and saying something about how we really got the best deal, we thank him, knowing how kind he really was. I look at Lauren in disbelief and say “At least we know where we’re going!”

-Devin

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - What a neat story! It almost brought tears to my eyes too. Mom

    ReplyDelete