Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 39—Stillwater (Nipigon) to Pancake Bay, Ontario










Today we headed out of Nipigon, and took the highway along the shores of Lake Superior. The drive was more interesting because the views were spectacular, and the lake is beautiful. Lots of rock, trees, and lakes! Also, there were lots of signs for moose, which are a night danger. Unfortunately, we didn’t see any moose, or bears. But we did see a beaver cross the road! Super cute, but they don’t run so well! We stopped in Wawa and saw the giant geese! They were awesome, and Wawa is such a neat word to say.

Pancake Bay is a campground on the shores of Lake Superior, with an enormous crescent shaped sand beach. We were so hot in our motorcycle outfits that we decided to go for a swim. Like the Aaron Lakes, this water was cold! But sooooo nice! We dried off and lay in the sun for a while before dinner. It was wonderful!

-Lauren

In Winnipeg we stopped by the CAA for an Ontario camping book, their free and very useful. The woman at the counter didn’t know much about Ontario when I asked about nice places to stop.

“Are there any nice places that we should stop by?”

“pancake bay! I don’t know any other places but I went to pancake bay with my boy friend and it was so beautiful, we loved it.”

So we were on the lookout for this Pancake bay. It wasn’t on any of our maps and the woman at CAA had no idea where it was. We searched it on google maps on my iphone and found it near Batchawana bay about 70km north of Sault St. Marie.

We found a beautiful camp ground right on the beach. And both of us hot and exhausted couldn’t get in the water fast enough. We lounged for an hour or so on the beach soaking up the sun. Way down the beach I spotted the huge multi coloured umbrella. It reminded me of a producer’s logo that I once worked for and had visited in Tatlayoko Lake.

“I have to go over there and take a picture of their umbrella”

“what? Where?”

Lauren looks down the beach and then at me amused and showing sights of understanding. By this time she has gotten used to me approaching random strangers. She lies back down.

“have fun”

“I’ll be back soon”

I begin my trek along the beach toward these people with their interesting umbrella.

The walk was longer then I though and having ridden everywhere it was harder work than I bargained for. Approaching strangers is always interesting, I never know what kind of people I’m going to meet and always seem to ask myself.

“is this a good idea?”

But I had walked this far and I wasn’t going to stop now.

I said hello, and told them why I had made my way over. They were very friendly and being travelers themselves we exchanged stories and I took a few pictures of the umbrella.

I arrived back were Lauren lay.

“you were gone a long time”

“was I? sorry about that, they made the same trip we did in an RV, but missed deathvally and wanted to hear about it”

Soon after we made camp and had dinner and the beach, what a beautiful place!

~devin

No comments:

Post a Comment