Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 33—Banff, Alberta to the Cypress Hills, Alberta

Today we had only one goal in the morning—get on the road and to Calgary for 10 am. We needed a new back tire (very important bit of the bike) and there was a good chance that this one shop in Calgary had one in stock and potentially could put it on for us. So we headed out of the Rockies (along the beautiful 1A) and headed to Calgary through the foothills, with the mountains receding in the backgroundThe shop in Calgary was extremely helpful, and while we had breakfast at Denny’s, the back tire was replaced. We were on our way a few hours later, on the Trans-Canada to Medicine Hat. There, we dropped south along HWY 41 to the Cypress Hills. The Hills are very lush and green and covered with trees, which is quite different from the rolling prairie land that we had been travelling through. We ended up at the top of the campground, and were basically the only people in our loop. We backed onto a forest and could only hear the wind, frogs, and birds. It was great! A couple of the campground loops were flooded because the lake was so high. Like in BC, the rivers and fields are flooded, with more rain on the way.

-Lauren

I remember waking up and needing to get to Calgary. Days before the mechanic in Victoria pointed at my tire…

“This here”

Drawing an imaginary circle with his finger in the middle of my back tire.

“This here is hydroplane city”

I nod.

“see this meat on the side?”

He was trying to show me that I still had some rubber on the outer edge of the tire.

I nodded again. Is he trying to sell me a tire?

“you have lots there”

“oh good” I reply after a slight pause

Some how my riding skills where in question, if I was better, would I take the corners at more of an angle? And thus wear off the rubber he was pointing at now. It felt like it was unnecessary to point out that extra rubber. Both he and I could see it. But I don’t really care what he thinks anyway.

“You have about 1000km before you need to replace it”

I thank him and explain that we will get one on the road somewhere.

A thousand km? its 800km to my Dads from Victoria. Oh well the tire looks fine to me, sure it’s a little worn down but I’ll watch it.

From my Dads I called around for a tire and nobody could get one in time. Mechanic shops really need to work on their customer service. Somewhere on the way I find the shops number in Calgary that says if we get there by 10am they will change it.

So we rush. And we make good time, packing quickly and as I’m trying to distract my mind from thoughts of coffee, something occurs to me. This is that last of the mountains. After this it’s all grass plains. I try to take mental pictures for those winter months in my basement in Toronto, until we final arrive in Calgary.

I had forgotten that part of the deal was taking the back tire off. And at the time I had speculated that it can’t be hard. My old bikes back tire came off no prob. I pulled the bike into the back and briefly chat to the mechanic. The guys was really nice and said with an Asian accent

“ok you bring me the back tire, I will put new rubber for you”

This is when I remember the deal. And somewhere out front Lauren is out having breakfast and ordering me coffee… At least that’s what I thought at the time.

“oh right… ok I’ll take off the back tire”

He brings his head down level with the tire.

“Cant slide it out, will be hard… Can you do it?”

“Sure I have the manual”

“You have tools?”

“Some”

Just then a delivery truck shows up with a huge motorcycle sized crate, the shop staff circle and it seems the conversation is over.

I move the bike out of the way and take off all the gear. Undo the 2 blue straps, 1 red, take off the 2 yellow bags. The saddle bags are next and I have to unlock them first, left side unlocked and pulled off, next right side. Now its time for the Givi, the motorcycles trunk, sits on the tail, a giant clam looking hard case with a 35 litre red water proof MEC bag strapped to the top. I don’t even bother with the MEC bag just pop the key in, turn, hit the red button and the whole thing comes off. Hmmm its heavier then I remember… Ok looks good, bike is naked, ready to go to work, now where is that manual? Tank bag, bottom compartment, unzip and begin flipping through the pages.

“back tire, back tire..”

Why are things so hard to find in this book? A few minutes later I find it.

It reads:

REAL WHEEL

REMOVAL:

1. Remove cotter pin and loosen rear axle nut.

2. Remove torque arm nut

3. Release brake hose

4. Pull axle from seal

5. Pull collar

6. Move wheel right to disengage

That all seems easy enough, but how am I going to pull it right? The tail cover (where the licence plate sits) is in the way.

TAIL COVER

REMOVAL

1. Remove side cover

2. Remove rack

3. Pry buttons from rack, unscrew bolts from tail cover

4. Remove mounting bolts, watch for washers

5. Remove rail bracket bolts

6. Turn out front tail bolts

7. REPEAT steps 4 – 6 on other side

8. Unthread Allen bolts

9. Carefully pull it rearward and remove tail piece.

My stomach tightens as I read , how am I going to do any of this? Looking at the pictures I can recognize that those pieces are part of the bike but don’t really know where they are and it looks complicated.

My mind reminds me of the situation.

” The mechanic from Victoria voice floats across my conciseness.

“This here is hydroplane city

“And we are headed to the flooded part of the country” I think almost mouthing the words.

“You have about 1000km” and that was 2000km ago…

“ok don’t think about that” I try and take hold of the situation “forget about breakfast and start working, it may take a few hours, but then you’ll have a new tire, and you need it”

I’m pulling out my tools with a new hope, the Asian mechanic walks over.

“can you do it?”

“well looks like I have to take off the tail cover and I guess that means the whole back half of the bike.”

He looks at the bike for a second time.

“I’ll do it, just bring the bike over”

“really!” trying not to be over eager. “are you sure? I don’t want to impose”

“no problem”

He begins to turn and walk back in the shop

“you would have to take off the exhaust system too to get the tire out”

Shocked and relief hits me at once, he looks back at my face and continues walking to the shop.

I guess shock was the reaction he was looking for. I thank him and pull the bike up on the hoist and he begans to work.

60 minutes from walking in the shop, I emerged in search of Lauren and my coffee. Expecting to find her happily sitting in some restaurant. She calls to me. I turn and find her sitting on the side walk with a frown. The place we thought to eat was not suitable for breakfast or any other meal. She had been sitting waiting this whole time, that sucks. I try and apologize for making her wait, we are both hungry now, its 11am and we didn’t have much of a breakfast. A local girl points us towards some restaurants 15 minute walk down the road. We finally see Dennys and feast on a delicious breakfast.

-Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment